Tuesday, July 16, 2019

First Practice Model









 

Milestone first low-poly first attempt in Blender, at under 8k poly count.

would make a good model to cut my Blender teeth on, I figured, as I already had a 'fat guy' obj model to reskin and resculpt, downloaded from somewhere long forgotten on one of my old backup CD's, and here's the result.  I didn't apply a normal map in this case but will do tomorrow. Found a great online mapping customizer NormalMap-Online here, a super handy tool I'll be using plenty in the future no doubt.  Normals? what- if I'm speaking Chinese here this link will explain everything about mapping.  

Here's another render with a gloss shader on the bug and a displacement map in place of the missing normal. It's unlikely I'll ever bother with doing high-res sculpts as it's too much work for one person. Instead I'll likely paint height-maps and convert to normals directly in Blender as demonstrated in this tute. 








Loving Blender but lord almighty what a struggle to wrap my head around all the zillion controls and shortcuts, everything from the modifiers and UV wrapping, getting to grips with Cycles Rendered and it's 'circuit board' Node system, to just getting the cam position to look like they do in the UI- it has taken many hours of my time.

Still, it's almost worth it for that moment when everything falls into place, and next time will be a doddle.




Personal

----------------

So, still living in Japan of course, and VR is hitting the arcades in a big way over here. Costs $8 a go and so it's definitely for novelty alone but man is it fun flying around mountains on a winged bike, or riding on a chopper whilst Godzilla incinerates Tokyo. I had the creepiest experience ever with this one game, where you go around on a wheelchair trying to navigate your way out of a type of zombie lair, it's cosplay and so I could see my wife (or her avatar) riding around and something about the avatar waving at me and knowing it was her freaked me the hell out. When we both lost to the timer and it went to a cut-scene where she got the head of her virtual manifestation cut off by a giant pair of scissors I genuinely felt distressed for a couple of minutes after, lol. 

No comments: